Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Finding a Transition Game

With the end of a very dour baseball season upon Chicago, I've somewhat shirked the responsibility of updating this blog in the last few days. Encountering the mental break from a team expected to win has had it's difficulties. And while the Bears' beautiful 3-0 start has helped quell the feelings of disappointment, watching the sinking ship that is the White Sox (3-7 in the last 10 games) hasn't been the cathartic endeavor I hoped for, and thus the lack of posts.

I can't imagine it's much better for Northsiders. While they got some interesting pitching performances this season -- they used a total of 8 rookie starters -- the Cubs' coaching staff could have hired Morris Buttermaker and would have gotten better results than Dusty Baker. The only question about Dusty's future on the North side is not if but how soon will he be jetisoned like the crap from a septic tank.

To divert back to the White Sox for a moment, I just realized that their season resembles the Indians team from the movie Major League -- if you were to watch it in reverse.

All of that is to say, I'm tired of watching underachievers. As much as I'm not a Cubs fan, that team was not nearly as bad as they seemed. Injuries to Derrick Lee, Michael Barret and the pitching staff sealed their fate from the start. Add to that awful managing and you've got a season gone awry. And then there's the White Sox, who's August and September swoon would seem tragic if the glow from the 2005 World Series trophy weren't so bright.

So with 4 games left on the schedule, I'm thru with baseball except for a Pick to Click race I'm currently leading. I'm on to greener pastures including a very resilient Notre Dame team, a Superbowl possible Bears team, a very intriguing Bulls team, and a Blackhawk team that's currently 5-0 in preseason and giving up the bare minimum of goals. (And they said the Bulin Wall was torn down.) I'm even rooting for the Fire tonight to win the USA or MLS or whatever-the-heck-it's-called Cup tonight; civic pride knows no bounds except for of course Madison Avenue.

And being the ultimate Bulls fan that I am, you can expect a season/player preview in the next few weeks.

One programming note: I'm looking for nominees for this week's In the Line of Fire recipient. I ask that you try to make your candidates as they relate to current events. And you can nominate figures from outside the realm of Chicago sports if you'd like. I have a few ideas but I'd like this to be as interactive as possible.

1 Comments:

Blogger Soxually Repressed said...

The Cubs sucked because they had a manager who kept SAYING the season was over when Lee went down. Barrett wasn't gone THAT long from injury, and whose fault was it that "the team leader" lost time because he suckered another player?

I won't blame the GM for not having a back-up plan for a first baseman who never misses time if he will accept the idiocy of counting on the Crystal Twins for pitching. Plus, he stuck with a manager who is only as (almost as) good as his players. There are likely eighteen year-olds that could manage as well as Dusty Baker. I'm sorry, I take that back; some would be better.

Considering who was left to pitch, the Cubs could have been worse, but how much? Spending the end of your season tring not to lose 100 games is looking up to mediocrity.

12:49 PM, September 28, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home