Friday, September 22, 2006

Opening Shots

A real shock that I'm posting before the admistrator was supposed to introduce me. That's okay, even though I'm very shy, I will handle the introduction myself.
First, allegiances. It isn't Soxually Repressed because of undying Red Sox love. I'm a South Side guy, an I have rooted for the (White) Sox all my memory's worth. Just to set the record straight, I don't hate the Cubs, per se. Mostly I don't care and ignore them. Now, elements surrounding them, like ownership, management, their (mostly) dopey fans, well, those are all different stories.
The Bulls have been my favorite NBA team since the Showtime Lakers of the 80's faded. I rooted for the Bulls also, but the Lakers were my original favorite. Did/do I just cheer the front-runner? If only it were that easy. When I was eight my parents took me to see Airplane! The Movie at an indoor theatre. (I had only seen cartoons movies inside, otherwise it was the old I-80 drive-in for us). Of course, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar was in the movie, and for some reason he stuck out to me. Next he turned up in a Nestle Crunch ad, getting out of a limo. At this point I didn't know he was on the Lakers, an in fact had only a vague idea there were Lakers, or what they did. Obviously I found out, and by default, the Los Angeles Lakers became my Favorite NBA Team. Which is still weird because I don't really like Los Angeles as a city too much. Anyway, Kareem retired, and the Bulls are by far number one in my NBA heart.
Football. The Bears. Eh. Somewhat like the Cubs, I am mostly indifferent. Another silly allegiance reason backstory. My favorite colors are blue, gray(spelling by Crayola), and black(yes I know gray and black are non-colors). No I don't also like long walks on the beach. Guess who had a big blue star with a gray (well, silver) backround? Anyone who said Colts is in the very drastically wrong place. So I'm a Cowboys fan. You don't have to get over it, but it will probably help. And, yes I was maybe the only idiot watching the one game they won in the 1-15 year. I suffered through Steve Peuller. Granted, he's no Craig Krenzel, but still. Also like the Raiders and Bengals because of their helmets (plus the Bengals' Ken Anderson had those coffee acheiver commercials with the ELO song when I was little. Oddly, I don't drink coffee but do like the Bengals. Take that ad guys.) I do follow the Bears, sometimes despite my best efforts, and can be objective. Painfully objective it's been said.
As far as hockey is concerned, I'm not much. I try to root for the Blackhawks whenever they are on TV. Oh, wait, never mind. It is not true that all the hockey fans in America could fit in a phone booth. All the Chicago hockey fans could share a cab to the game, however. Wake me when any of it is relevant.
College sports are hardest. In general I'm a Big Ten guy. Big ILLINI fan. Rooting for NIU since 1990. Will cheer for most area/Illinois teams. I have some issues with some colleges and/or their fans. Briefly, hate Iowa (Steve Alford, slimebag). Hate Indiana (this is fading, left over from Bobby Knight, jerkwad). Hate Colorado (Gary Barnett, sleazy). Hate Michigan (mostly because some of their fans are people who only like front-runners, and have never even been to Michigan). Florida State, Florida, Duke, North Carolina and wherever Steve the Ol' Ballcoach is, please see Michigan. Which brings us to Notre Dame. King(Pope?) of the front-runner crowd. Adored by non-Catholics, non-Irish, people who could never afford to attend, people who would never qualify to attend, people who just hate Michigan, or my personal favorite, people who like the school and actually think (or not, as the case may be) that Notre Dame is a small town in Indiana! Is it asking too much that you know where your favorite school is geographically located? Don't pretend you don't exist. I have met you, an I am forever dumber for it.
There you go, I think I covered most of it. Anything else will be gotten to eventually. Any questions, feel free to ask. Need money? Ask somebody else. Until next time, be good.

4 Comments:

Blogger jamesmnordbergjr said...

I can see there'll be plenty of copy-editting of your posts, you non-typing bastage!

10:06 PM, September 22, 2006  
Blogger Fornelli said...

Jesus James, a Cowboy loving Notre Dame hater?

You got Osama waiting in the wings too?

11:45 PM, September 22, 2006  
Blogger jamesmnordbergjr said...

Diversity, Fornelli.

We can't all agree on everything.

And the more blasting you do of Dub-ya, the better. Just think of him as Jay Mariotti with a conscience.

5:38 AM, September 23, 2006  
Blogger Soxually Repressed said...

Yes, because when you think AMERICA'S TEAM, you think Osama Bin-Laden. AND, if I was J. Mariotti, I would have dead caterpillars for eyebrows. If GOD is blessing NotreDame, he must be taking Michigan in Vegas. Hmm, I wonder how HE feels about that football powerhouse Navy? To cover, of course; even God and miracles can't get Navy a win.

4:35 PM, September 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home