The Rest of the Story
It's a banner day here at Fleece & Flog. We're headed for our fourth post of the day, and honestly, there could be more. Today isn't an overly impressive day in grand scheme of Chicago sports, but there are a few things I feel the need to point out concerning the comings and goings of up-to-date news. So let's just call this post (and maybe all subsequent posts of such a nature), in honor of Paul Harvey and his timeless Chicago-based radio spot, The Rest of the Story. This post may contain a link or two to specific stories or posts, but it won't take the place of our Thursday edition of The Great Sports Coaster. No, this will be like a scrolling news update at the bottom of ESPN or CNN just without all the scrolling action. We may even update it late on in the day just to keep current. So without further ado...
- Jermaine Dye is MVP somewhere. After hitting a 2 run homer to win a game for an American traveling All-Star team in Japan, we can't help but be reminded of the stellar season JD produced for the Chicago White Sox. If there is justice, he'll share the MVP with Derek Jeter and Justin Morneau.
- I'm greatly impressed by Criminal Appeal's post at Ron Karkovice Fan Club concerning the Gold Glove snubbing of Joe Crede. All things considered, Joe was slightly ahead of his competition, and in my opinion it was the name recognition of Eric Chavez, Gold Glover, that cost Joe just such an honor.
- Tyrus Thomas is a game time decision for the Bulls home opener tonight with pain tolerance issues stemming from his broken nose suffered at the hands of Miami Heat player and new bad boy wannabe, James Posey. As I've mentioned before, I will be attending tonight's festivities and am hoping to get an up close and personal look at the next Dominique Wilkins. (Yeah, I called him that.You wanna make something of it?) Hopefully I'll have some pics posted in the next day or two from the game.
- From outside the realm of Chicago sports, I too am a little bothered by the gestapo-like tactics employed by the NBA and NFL to tone down actions not directly affecting play. Check out Fornelli's take on the situation over at Foul Balls. I'll save my thoughts on the subject for another day; I don't wanna steal Tom's thunder.
- Aramis Ramirez SAYS he wants to stay a Cub, and I SAY I like to cuddle after sex with my girlfriend when all I really wanna do is get up and check my blog for new comments. What a lousy bluffer he makes.
- Cedric Benson just needs to shut the fuck up and play. His time will come as long as he doesn't act like a primadonna.