Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Foul Balls vs. Fleece & Flog (Kinda)

(Editor's Note: I was waiting for this to go up over at Foul Balls first since it's Fornelli's baby and all, but I'm at a computer now and won't be back until later this afternoon. So here's my take...)

Competition. It's the spirit that drives all sports. It's the motivating force behind any kind of game or contest. It's what pushes athletes and man in general.

You've probably heard the saying a thousand times, "I'm here to compete" or "I love the competition." Those were two of Michael Jordan's favorite lines and he loved competition.

But truly at the base of all athletes is the need to compete, and at the base of all bloggers is the need to do the same. Gamblers call it the rush; I call it the need to whoop ass. And I'm pretty sure Tom Fornelli feels the same way.

Most of you readers who know Fornelli and his Foul Balls (his blog, that is) know that he's had a running bet with his editor, Panger (who writes her own blog called Petulant Times and as I just found out a sports blog called 28 Days although there are no posts as of yet), over the length of the baseball playoffs. Well, Fornelli triumphed over Panger, won the bet and is now so flush with success that he's invited a few other friends (myself and Jeeves of F&F and ChiSox Blog) along with Panger again to take part in similiar contest involving the NBA basketball season.

I too have had a minor success this past baseball season winning the Pick to Click race at ChiSox Blog, but to be fair, a lot of the entrants came late to the game. At any rate success is coursing thru my veins, and I need a new drug to keep the adrenaline running.

The players in this game are Panger, Fornelli, Jeeves and myself. Each day Fornelli will be emailing us with three or less NBA games from which we will pick the winners of each game -- no point spreads involved. There are more specific details concerning the point system per win he's using but you can check out his blog for that if you must.

What I'm here to say is that I'm gonna destroy those other three girlies, and bring the championship on home to Fleece & Flog where it belongs. No word yet on what the winner gets, but we'll keep you updated.

Fornelli, Panger and Jeeves, you will all bow in the wake of my victory. See you at the finish line.

Competition; I love this game.

(Update: Here's Fornelli's post at Foul Balls detailing the contest and picks for tonight. I can't believe Panger took Miami. Women.)

6 Comments:

Blogger jamesmnordbergjr said...

by the way...I took the Bulls and Lakers tonight

1:25 PM, October 31, 2006  
Blogger Fornelli said...

Much like any woman I lay my eyes upon, you are going down.

It's cool that you posted here first. I won't post it til the end of the day anyway.

1:26 PM, October 31, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

much like any woman, i am going dow -

wait, never mind.

look boys, here's the story: if you CAN'T beat me in this competition, i'd suggest moving on to another hobby like, say, knitting or cooking or, i don't know, bending over and grabbing your ankles.

good luck, losers!

3:52 PM, October 31, 2006  
Blogger Soxually Repressed said...

Obviously I don't know Panger, but the mere thought of her beating the three lads involved is thoroughly amusing. I would probably get destroyed in this contest, but it will be fun to track. Good luck to all. (But better luck to the chick. The ACTUAL chick.)

3:46 PM, November 02, 2006  
Blogger jamesmnordbergjr said...

Well, if you read her blogs, you might get a better idea who she is, Double-U.

They're linked in the post, or don't you know how to click on a link?

4:21 PM, November 02, 2006  
Blogger Soxually Repressed said...

My impending carpel-tunnel syndrome is somewhat restrictive, but yes I know how to click a link. It's just sooo much work. My assistant joined Peace Corps. Now I have to do my own clicking.

11:49 AM, November 03, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home