Wednesday, November 08, 2006

A Bulls Rookie Isn't Who We Thought He Was

Tuesday was a long day for the main administrator here at F&F, so we're sorry for the lack of a post. (Hint, hint, Double-U!) Softball season finally ended Monday night with a 13-7 victory including the rare turning of a 5-2-5-1-6 triple play. So Monday night we partied like it was 1999, and not even a cocaine-laced espresso coulda kept me from avoiding like the plague my blogging duties yesterday. Outside of periodic updates on Brian Urlacher's toe, it was a slow day for Chicago sports not including the Bulls victory on Monday night which I taped and watched last night to avoid all the election-result programming.

Taping the Bulls game gave me the opportunity to watch the ups and downs without beer goggles, and four games into the season (small sample size, I know) the 13th pick of the 2006 draft looks like a keeper. John Paxson sure knew what he was doing drafting Thabo Sefolosha. The 22 year-old Swiss-born guard is fast working his way into Skiles rotation with his lengthy defense, steady ball handling and ability to get up and down the court. That he's a little older for a draft pick and has played in the European pro-leagues works perfectly in league where, unless you're Chris Paul, guards are developed over time, and turnovers kick a player to the curb quicker than Shawn Kemp makes babies.

His defense, however, is the key for this season. With Thabo Skiles doesn't have to hesitate to pull Chris Duhon in pressure situation. He can team sharp-shooter Ben Gordon or a hot-shooting Hinrich with Thabo and expect results. Thabo can also assume some of the defensive pressure once placed on Captain Kirk's shoulders. He can take the tough assignment like a Michael Redd or Gilbert Arenas so Kirk can focus a little more on offense when Ben is having a bad night. He can harry the opposing point guard, forcing him to make tougher passes. And his length will have a Scottie Pippen-like effect in guarding smaller guards.

So far I 'm impressed with the rookie and while Tyrus Thomas may have gotten more of the press and spotlight, John Paxson's second choice will make many a GM scour the Alpine countryside for something as sweet as the chocolate swirl game of Thabo Sefalosha. I was very unsure when Pax drafted him, but I'm glad to see my worries unfounded. Thank god I'm not the GM.

12 Comments:

Blogger Criminal Appeal said...

Watching the game Monday, it felt like Thabo was the key to the game. When I looked at the numbers it confirmed it. Redd had nine 1st quarter points, and kept the Bucks close. He had only 2 in the second quarter when Thabo took over on him, and that's when the Bulls blew the game open. It was a great game for the rook, and refreshing to watch instead of the human turnover, Chris Duhon.

Oh, and how the hell did you turn that triple play? Was the second out a rundown between second and third?

12:04 PM, November 08, 2006  
Blogger jamesmnordbergjr said...

Bases loaded, hard grounder right to the bag at third (5) for the force (out #1), throw to home (2) back to third (5) back to the pitcher (1) covering home to tag out (out #2) the runner oringinally on third in a rundown, back to the SS (6) covering thrid to get the runner trying to sneek into third base from first (out #3).

The second out was a rundown between 3rd and home.

12:11 PM, November 08, 2006  
Blogger Fornelli said...

If you two like him so much, why don't you just marry him!?

2:21 PM, November 08, 2006  
Blogger jamesmnordbergjr said...

Now, Tom, just cuz I've taken back my lead in your HORSE competition, doesn't mean you need to lash out. I suggest a Buddhist meditation session or maybe taking up knitting as a means for releasing your anger.

And Chris Duhon can suck a fat one.

2:26 PM, November 08, 2006  
Blogger Fornelli said...

You're tied for the lead. And after my 4 point performance yesterday, I'm right behind you.

And Buddhism is for Commies!

2:59 PM, November 08, 2006  
Blogger jamesmnordbergjr said...

So was Ivan Drago in Rocky IV, but everyone still went to see that piece of crap.

And 1 billion Chinese people can't all be wrong.

3:03 PM, November 08, 2006  
Blogger Soxually Repressed said...

Duhon:can and does.

Wondering how long it would take for the Pippen comparison.

Are you saying that you would rather watch sports than the future of our country? Stupid democracy...

3:03 PM, November 08, 2006  
Blogger Soxually Repressed said...

By the way, my hot water heater went out, and I somehow cracked my rim on my tire. So aside from being a little busy, I have to sell part of my kidney to cover various repairs. But don't worry, while I mend with my kidney regrowth and recovery therapy I will try to squeeze more posts.

3:07 PM, November 08, 2006  
Blogger Criminal Appeal said...

Jr., I actually meant to ask if the third out was a run down between 2nd and 3rd, but you answered my question obviously. Nice job by the pitcher and SS being where they need to be. BTW, this thread has now officially attained the level of a good segment of the Sports Writers on TV. The key is having a serious analytical discussion of 16" softball.

3:26 PM, November 08, 2006  
Blogger jamesmnordbergjr said...

On note with the serious discussion of 16" softball...

I'd like to know why I bitch as much about the umps behind the plate in softball as I do at MLB umps. How can a softball ump miss a friggin' cantelope hitting homeplate? I am utterly dumbfounded by the inadaquecy of guys to call balls and strikes for a pitch that travels slower than the tortise who beat the hare.

I can live with some mistakes on the basepaths especially if it's a one man crew, but a ball 6" off the plate not swung at? C'mon.

4:54 PM, November 08, 2006  
Blogger jamesmnordbergjr said...

So SR, you're telling me you like to sit and watch paint dry? Cuz that's about as exciting as watching election polling and results reporting. Elections result news is tailor made for the morning newspaper which is just where I got my information and results from today.

4:58 PM, November 08, 2006  
Blogger Soxually Repressed said...

As you should know, I like sports as much as, if not more than, the next guy. I just have the ability once every couple of years to restrain myself to flicking between BooyahNews scrolls and MSNBC scrolls. Since I plan on living another ten years or so, not to mention the Newb's future, what happens on Election Tuesdays is of some import to me. If I ever get around to making cynically depressed useful, I would have some proof of what I speak.

For the record, I prefer to LISTEN to paint dry.

12:56 PM, November 13, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home