Thursday, October 19, 2006

This Is Still a Mirage, Right?

Quietly, very very quietly, under the din a certain Chicago football team is making, another Chicago team stands in first place. No, the Bulls season hasn't kicked off yet although they are 3-0 in preseason and rookie Tyrus Thomas looks good. No, I don't even know where the Fire stand; so just call me if they reach their league's championship game -- there's no better time to jump on the bandwagon. No, I'm talking about the Chicago Blackhawks.

Yes, I've mentioned that name here before hoping to find a few neophytes to get on the bus early. They currently have a 4-2 record in the Central Division leading Detroit, Nashville, St. Louis and Columbus. And last night they defeated the Montreal Canadiens 2-1 at the United Center. Newcomers Brian Smolinski and NHL points leader Martin Havlat scored the goals for the Hawks and Nikolai Khabibulin stopped 28 of 29 shots.

Of course, unless you have NHL Centre Ice package or live in Quebec or maybe even attended the game you didn't see this game. Yes, I know this is crowded soapbox. Yes, I know Wirtz is going nowhere soon. Yes, maybe I'll stop harping about this in time. But until then, Billy-boy and his draconian law concerning broadcasting home contest will bare the full frontal of my Braveheart fuck you.

And if ticket sales are any indication, I'm not the only one showing Willie Wirtz his willie. Barely 11,000 tickets were sold for last night's game, a far cry from the sellout number. Now, I'd hate to do anything nice for Bill Wirtz but if this team continues it's winning ways, I may end up lining the pockets of the unloved one with a few a my hard earned greenbacks in the form of a ticket purchase.

But I'll give it time. One winning season in the last eight has the Blackhawks not yet having me at hello. This is Chicago, for christ's sake, and we've seen the bandwagon get jumped on by many a White Sox and Cubs fan. Hell, I might have even smiled a little in 2003 when the Cubs were oh, so close. (The extreme lack of a winning baseball team will lead one to curse his blood-oath concerning his allegiance to either side of Madison Ave.)

Funny thing too. Just a month ago I threw away an old Blackhawks shirt. That damn Wirtz. If the Blackhawks keep it up, I just might have to give him even more of my hard earned money and buy a new jersey. Does anyone's mother know how to sew?

3 Comments:

Blogger Criminal Appeal said...

The attendance situation has gotten so bad that on ESPN 1000 this morning they said, "More than 11,000 fans saw . . ." Oy. I actually listend to the game on 670, until my wife threatened to destroy our radio. Fortunately, that was right after Smolinski scored.

11:47 AM, October 19, 2006  
Blogger Jeeves said...

Khabibulin only let in one goal, hopefully we see more stat lines like that than like the one from opening night.

4:54 PM, October 19, 2006  
Blogger Soxually Repressed said...

Let nobody say this isn't inclusive of all Chicago sports. I wonder if curling, the slowest game on ice, might not outdraw the Blackhawks. More people might show up for Zamboni races.

Don't worry big boy, they sell jerseys in your size; you won't have to get it let out.

9:43 PM, October 19, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home